SUNDAY SALMON – 26.02.12
Been a while, so thought i’d kick things of with a new mix. Enjoy.
1. Metronomy – The Bay (Erol Alkan Rework)
2. Ann Peebles – I Can’t Stand the Rain (Rayko Edit)
3. Fern Kinney – Groove Me
4. Crazy P – Wecanonlybewhoweare
5. Sister Sledge – You Fooled Around
6. Azari & III – Hungry for the Power (Art Department Remix)
7. Hercules & Love Affair – Shelter (xx Cover)
8. Bottin & Rodion – Galli (Give It Up)
9. Russ Yallop – I Can’t Wait (Rob Mello No Ears Remix)
10. Fancy – All Night Long (Gordondoza Remix)
11. Mark Ronson – Somebody to Love Me (Redail’s Sunday Drive Remix)
12. Yuksek – Alway on the Run (Peter & the Magician Remix)
13. Phonique – For the Time Being
14. Miami Horror – Moon Theory
15. Little Dragon – Blinking Pigs
16. Bottin – No Static
17. Aeroplane – Save Me Now
18. Holy Ghost! – Wait & See (Flight Facilities Remix)
19. Kate Bush – Cloudbusting (Might Mouse Rework)
20. Michael Jackson – Off the Wall (Only Children Club Edit)
21. Fever Ray – Seven (The Twelves Remix)
22. Luther Vandross – Never Too Much (ODahls K-Love Remix)
23. Bag Raiders – Sunlight
24. Chromeo feat. Elly Jackson – Hot Mess
25. The Wombats – Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves) (Grum Remix)
26. Local Natives – Who Knows, Who Cares (The Botaniks Remix)
27. Azari & III – Into the Night (Nicolas Jaar Remix)
This was a mix vaguely show casing the music policy for a night that we wanted to run. Quick run through of the tracks below
1. ABBA – The Vistors
A good indicator of things to come. The sound is very on zeitgeist at the beginning with its spacey disco sound. Watch people rock out to this track and then inform them that it is ABBA. Hidden gem.
2. Pamela Stanley – Coming out of Hiding
This is only a legwarmer away from Flashdance. It’s good to have an obscure track that people can connect to solely through the genre.
3. Roxy Music – Love is the Drug (Greg Wilson Edit)
Classic. Moody, sexy, sleek and timeless.
4. Cerrone – My Look
Encapsulates that deep funky emotionalism of the late 70’s NYC scene . . .
5. Aeroplane – I DonT Feel
. . . that aeroplane recreate for the modern era.
6. Fun Fun – Colour My Love
God I love Italo Disco. Bouncey beat. Colourful analogue synths. Nonsense words. This song is gayer than a handbag full of rainbows.
Little interlude taken from The Never Ending Story. We should definitely slap that on the wall.
7. Headman – Blue Boy
Mysterious, driving and sultry – not exactly a great choice, but I have been dying to merge this track with the following one. I think there should be a very slight element of “mash-up” in the music policy, so this is a good a representative as any.
8. SOS Band – Just Be Good to Me
Back to NYC a decade later. If only R&B had stayed like this.
9. Wang Chung – Dance Hall Days
Prom night, 1984.
10. Billy Ocean – European Queen (Rayko Remix)
Go on. Have a little sing. To your surprise, you know the words.
11. Fern Kinney – Love Me Tonight (Damon Martin & Ben Rymer Edit)
We are now entering classic disco territory. Lovely sexed up version of a little known slinky vintage cut.
12. Tracey Thorne – It’s All True (Escort Extended Remix)
Keeping it melancholy, Escort are a 16 piece disco band who take Tracey Thorne’s pristine voice and add layers of heartbreaking funk.
13. Shortwave Set – Now Till ’69 (Aeroplane Remix)
These guys (now guy, after an amicable split) are truly nu-disco pioneers. The constant roundelay will lift your hands towards the sunshine with each refrain.
14. DJ Mehdi – Lucky Boy (Outlines Remix)
Not so much a remix, but a complete overhaul, turning a mediocre song into a northern soul stomper.
15. Fake Blood – I Think I Like It (Tommie Sunshine Remix)
Bonkers. Exhausting. Amazing.
16. Kylie Minogue – Get Outta My Way (Penguin Prison Remix)
Yes, yes. I know. Kylie Minogue. Blah blah blah. Put the music snobbery aside for a sec and listen to the New York genius of Penguin Prison as he adds a big dollop of sour to Ms Minogue’s sweet. This guy is one of a herd of electronic artists who are known in larger city circles, but don’t get the attention they deserve elsewhere.
17. Monarchy – Gold in the Fire (Diamond Cut Remix)
Monarchy are another amazing group from that stable. However, Diamond Cut are another thing entirely. Their ridiculously 80’s-ified remixes conjure up images of tearing down a Californian ocean road in and open top synth-fuelled Ferrari Testarossa
18. Scissor Sisters – Invisible Light
Well it had to go in really, didn’t it Gem. Deservedly so though. Love the suspenseful build-up. Bonus points for McKellen usage.
19. Crazy P – You Got the Love
Best. Cover. Ever! Pares down the original for the majority of the track before melting down into a psychedelic funkathon.
20. Paul Williams – You Give a Little Love
Every night should end with this song!